Interview with... Vickee Venom!

18:10

If you have been looking for a new website to browse, you might have noticed the link to Vickee Venom under Cool Sites over to the side >>>

Well, I grabbed a couple of minutes with the fab jewellery maker Vickee who tells me about her site, passions, and ever-so-important boy crushes :)

Hey Vickee! Your jewellery is so cool, where do you get inspiration from?
Wow thanks Kate, glad you like it! Well I have inspiration from a lot of places really, obviously  the kind of things me and my friends are interested in and favourite game characters, but there are also some super-cute shops and idea-forums on the internet like on MySpace and Flickr which inspire me to make things.

What do you make the jewellery out of?
Mainly Hama Beads, I'm assuming you know what they are! :)
[just in case you don't, they are little beads that you make a design on a pegboard, then iron them to bind them together. I made a lot of my jewellery in my jewellery post from them]
And sometimes out of normal beads or charms.
Some are toy figures, lego blocks or army men which I've turned into bracelets and earrings that are pretty cool.

How come you decided to set up your own buisness and sell your creations?
Well I made a few bracelets and necklaces and bows etc. and a few people asked on Bebo where I got them. They were like 'Wow I want one' so I said I could make you one and they offered to pay. I thought I could make a bit of money selling them. I made a Bebo and a website and it got a lot more popular than I initially expected. I've made a fair amount of money from it!

Do you wear the jewellery that you make or do you buy some? 
I wear some of the jewellery, yeah, but not all of it. I think I wear my acrylic bat most. I also wear my earrings and use the keyrings on my bags and stuff. I do buy jewellery too, but not often. If I see something in a shop I will try to make it first but if I really can't then I'll buy it. 

What shops/websites are your fave for accessories?
Personally I'm a big fan of the jewellery in Topshop, and I adore the Hello Kitty necklaces in Claires, but I'll only buy it if it's completely amazing! :)


Describe your clothes style? 
Umm, in a word I'd say random. In more detail though I'd say sometimes it's simple skinny jeans and a cute top. Sometimes it's more unique and I'd wear dresses or skirts with thick tights. I also like wearing waist belts. I basically wear what I'm wearing on a lot of my photos. I don't like to fit in with the crowd, I think people should dare to wear what they want.

Apart from making jewellery and the website, do you have any other hobbies?
Hmm, my passion is really in modelling. Almost every week I have my picture taken by my best friend. It's always a lot of fun, I love editing it then seeing the finished image. So really my passions lie in photography, modelling and graphic design. And of course making cute jewellery!

What sort of music do you like?
I like all sorts to be honest, I couldn't possibly put a label on music taste! Anything from the charts to heavier stuff. I'm not too fond of R&B or Hip-Hop stuff. I suppose I could say I'm more into pop, indie rock and screamo. At the moment I'm really loving Regina Spektor and Kate Nash.

Who's your current celeb boy-crush?
Ooh there are too many! I wouldn't exactly say 'crush', but these are the ones I'm finding gorgeous!
- Ashton Kutcher. I would actually say I'm quite in love with him! Well maybe not but he isn't half lush...
-  I'm also a big fan of Johnny Depp, yumm...
- Oh and Eoghan and Ashton from the X Factor!!!

Do you have a role model?
Um, no, I don't have a role model. I don't really like trying to aspire to someone that I couldn't possibly live up to. I just want to get anything I can out of life as me. So really my role model is my future self, if you know what I mean. I do admire some people though, especially Tyra Banks, Lily Cole and Dakota Rose. :D

Thanks to Vickee for talking to me! Hope you like the interview. Kate XX



3 comments:

  1. great interview. i got the interview with cathy cassidy on my blog now. check it out. fabu blog.
    xx

  2. great interview!! had a look and i love vickee's jewellery loads now too!

  3. great blog!
    keep up the good work x